Stock No: 10734

A massive carved Portland Stone Tableau of the reigning monarchs, William & Mary(1689-1702), granting The Bank of England Charter in 1694. Sculptor Esmond Burton (1885 – 1964).

Part of a collection of approximately 45 statues and carvings commissioned by the Bank of England to adorn it’s Annexe built in the 1950’s at One New Change in the City of London. They were removed prior to the building being demolished in 2007. This group was above the Cheapside entry to the courtyard and was flanked either side by statues of Sir John Houblon, the first Governor of the Bank and Michael Godfrey the first Deputy, please see third image below.

Notes: The building was erected to accommodate the Bank of England's Accounts Department and occupied the whole site bounded by Cheapside to the north, Watling Street to the south, Bread Street to the east, Newgate to the north west and New Change to the west. It was built on a World War II bomb site behind St Paul’s Cathedral and was sensitively designed in a graceful curve to follow the curve of the east end of Sir Christopher Wrens majestic Roman Baroque building.

English, circa 1958.>br>
POA

Link to: Antique, old vintage fountains, sculptures, garden furniture and statuary

Width Height Depth
53 18"
135 cms
82 1116"
210 cms
27 58"
70 cms

Tel: +44 (0)207 739 8094
Email : westland@westlandlondon.com
Web : http://www.westlandlondon.com

295 Willesden Lane
London, NW2 5HY
Tube: Willesden Green (Jubilee Line)